Cytogenetic investigation was attempted on 44 tumors from 44 patients with transitional cell carcinoma (TCC) of the upper urinary tract (pelvis and ureter), and karyotypes were obtained in 27 tumors. Numerical changes prevailed, but are not specific for this type of tumor (trisomy 7, −Y, or both). In the light of previously reported data on TCC, the finding of a del(9q) as the only anomaly in one of the cases may be meaningful. Patients showing −Y and/or trisomy 7 had a poor prognosis.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Cancer Genetics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- A comparative study of transitional cell tumors of the bladder and upper urinary tract.Cancer. 1988; 61: 2109-2112
- Tumours of the upper urinary tract calyces, renal pelvis and ureter.Eur Urol. 1976; 2: 120-128
- Epidemiology of urologic cancer.in: Javadpour N. Principles and Management of Urologic Cancer. Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore1979
- Etiology of cancer of the renal pelvis.J Natl Cancer Inst. 1983; 71: 287-291
- Transitional cell tumors of the renal pelvis and ureter associated with capillarosclerosis indicating analgetic abuse.Cancer. 1987; 59: 972-976
- Tumours of the renal pelvis and ureter, observations in 170 patients.Br J Urol. 1988; 61: 277-283
- Latency in thorotrast-induced renal tumors.Scan J Urol Nephrol. 1983; 17: 127-130
- Transitional cell carcinoma of the upper urinary tract.J Urol. 1991; 145: 1159-1163
- Chromosomes in kidney, ureter, and bladder cancer.Cancer Genet Cytogenet. 1986; 23: 1-24
- Chromosome change in transitional cell carcinoma of ureter.Cancer Genet Cytogenet. 1986; 19: 335-340
- Trisomy 7 and i(5p) in a transitional cell carcinoma of the ureter.Cancer Genet Cytogenet. 1987; 25: 369-370
- Chromosomes in renal carcinoma with reference to intratumor heterogeneity.Cancer Genet Cytogenet. 1988; 32: 35-41
- Trisomy 7 in a case of transitional cell carcinoma of the kidney.Cancer Genet Cytogenet. 1989; 41: 149-151
- Springer-Verlag, Berlin1982: 172-179 UICC, TNM Atlas.
- Histologic typing of urinary bladder tumors. World Health Organization, Geneva1973
- A case of transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder with a del(9)(q11q21.2).Cancer Genet Cytogenet. 1993; 69: 76-77
- Genetic alterations in bladder cancer.Lancet. 1993; 342: 469-471
- Trisomy 7 in nonneoplastic cells.Genes Chromosom Cancer. 1993; 6: 199-205
- Catalog of Chromosome Aberrations in Cancer. 5th ed. Wiley-Liss, New York1994
- Review of chromosome studies in urological tumors. II. Cytogenetics and molecular genetics of bladder cancer.J Urol. 1994; 151: 545-560
- Determination of Y chromosome loss and its prognostic significance in CIS of bladder.J Urol. 1995; 153: 408A
- FISH studies on the Y chromosome in male urinary cells.Cancer Genet Cytogenet. 1996; 88: 155-157
Accepted: March 10, 1999
Received: November 5, 1998
© 1999 Elsevier Science Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.