- •Many participants were identified with mutations in clinically-actionable genes.
- •Age of onset and family history of gastric cancer were mutation status predictors.
- •Our findings support multigene panels in identifying gastric cancer predisposition.
Few susceptibility genes for gastric cancer have been identified. We sought to identify germline susceptibility genes from participants with gastric cancer from an international hereditary cancer research network. Adults with gastric cancer of any histology, and with a germline DNA sample (n = 51), were retrospectively selected. For those without previously identified germline mutations (n = 43), sequencing was performed for 706 candidate genes. Twenty pathogenic or likely pathogenic variants were identified among 18 participants. Eight of the 18 participants had previous positive clinical testing, including six with CDH1 pathogenic or likely pathogenic variants, and two with pathogenic MSH2 and TP53 variants. Of the remaining 10, six were in BRCA1 DNA damage response pathway genes (ATM, ATR, BRCA2, BRIP1, FANCC, TP53), other variants were identified in CTNNA1, FLCN, SBDS, and GNAS. Participants identified with pathogenic or likely pathogenic variants were younger at gastric cancer diagnosis than those without, 39.1 versus 48.0 years, and over 50% had a close family member with gastric cancer (p-values < 0.0001). In conclusion, many participants were identified with mutations in clinically-actionable genes. Age of onset and family history of gastric cancer were mutation status predictors. Our findings support multigene panels in identifying gastric cancer predisposition.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Cancer Genetics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Hereditary gastric cancer syndromes.Surg Oncol Clin N Am. 2015; 24: 765-777
- Increased yield of actionable mutations using multi-gene panels to assess hereditary cancer susceptibility in an ethnically diverse clinical cohort.Cancer Genet. 2016; 209: 130-137
- SEER Fact Sheets: Stomach Cancer. Cancer Stat Fact Sheets 2016.(Available at)http://seer.cancer.gov/statfacts/html/stomach.htmlDate: 2016Date accessed: June 15, 2016
- The spectrum of genetic variants in hereditary pancreatic cancer includes Fanconi anemia genes.Fam Cancer. 2017; https://doi.org/10.1007/s10689-017-0019-5
- Extending comprehensive cancer center expertise in clinical cancer genetics and genomics to diverse communities: the power of partnership.J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2010; 8: 615-624
- Fast and accurate short read alignment with Burrows-Wheeler transform.Bioinformatics. 2009; 25: 1754-1760
- The Sequence Alignment/Map format and SAMtools.Bioinformatics. 2009; 25: 2078-2079
- Catalogue of somatic mutations in cancer.(Available at)http://cancer.sanger.ac.ukDate: 2016Date accessed: July 13, 2016
- dbSNP.(Available at)http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/projects/SNP/Date: 2016Date accessed: September 15, 2016
- 1000 genomes: a deep catalog of human genetic variation.(Available at)http://www.1000genomes.org/Date: 2010Date accessed: March 1, 2011
- NHLBI grand opportunity Exome Sequencing Project (ESP).(Available at)https://esp.gs.washington.edu/drupal/Date: 2016Date accessed: September 15, 2016
- Evolutionarily conserved elements in vertebrate, insect, worm, and yeast genomes.Genome Res. 2005; 15: 1034-1050
- Detection of nonneutral substitution rates on mammalian phylogenies.Genome Res. 2010; 20: 110-121
- JASPAR Database.(Available at)http://jaspar.genereg.net/Date: 2016Date accessed: September 15, 2016
- VISTA enhancer browser.(Available at)http://enhancer.lbl.gov/Date: 2016Date accessed: September 15, 2016
- Complete genomics.(Available at)http://www.completegenomics.com/Date: 2016Date accessed: September 20, 2016
- SIFT web server: predicting effects of amino acid substitutions on proteins.Nucleic Acids Res. 2012; 40: W452-W457
- Available at)http://cancergenome.nih.govDate: 2011Date accessed: February 26, 2011 (
- Predicting functional effect of human missense mutations using PolyPhen-2.Curr Protoc Hum Genet. 2013; 76: Unit 7.20https://doi.org/10.1002/0471142905.hg0720s76
- ClinVar: public archive of relationships among sequence variation and human phenotype.Nucleic Acids Res. 2014; 42: D980-D985
- Analysis of protein-coding genetic variation in 60,706 humans.Nature. 2016; 536: 285-291
- Standards and guidelines for the interpretation of sequence variants: a joint consensus recommendation of the American College of Medical Genetics and Genomics and the Association for Molecular Pathology.Genet Med. 2015; 17: 405-424
- The International Collaborative Group on Hereditary Non-Polyposis Colorectal Cancer (ICG-HNPCC).Dis Colon Rectum. 1991; 34: 424-425
- Li-Fraumeni Syndrome.in: Pagon R.A. Adam M.P. Ardinger H.H. GeneReviews® [Internet]. University of Washington, Seattle, Seattle, WA1993–2016
- BHD mutations, clinical and molecular genetic investigations of Birt-Hogg-Dube syndrome: a new series of 50 families and a review of published reports.J Med Genet. 2008; 45: 321-331
- Birt-Hogg-Dube Syndrome.in: Pagon R.A. Adam M.P. Ardinger H.H. GeneReviews [Internet]. University of Washington, Seattle, Seattle, WA2006
- Hereditary Diffuse Gastric Cancer Syndrome: CDH1 mutations and beyond.JAMA Oncol. 2015; 1: 23-32
- Clinical application of multigene panels: challenges of next-generation counseling and cancer risk management.Front Oncol. 2015; 5: 208
- Germline BHD-mutation spectrum and phenotype analysis of a large cohort of families with Birt-Hogg-Dube Syndrome.Am J Hum Genet. 2005; 76: 1023-1033
- NCCN Guidelines Genetic/Familial High-Risk Assessment: Breast and Ovarian V.2.2016.2016
- Germline mutations in PALB2, BRCA1, and RAD51C, which regulate DNA recombination repair, in patients with gastric cancer.Gastroenterology. 2017; 152 (e6): 983-986
- An update on PARP inhibitors for the treatment of cancer.Onco Targets Ther. 2015; 8: 519-528
- Prevalence of Hispanic BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations among hereditary breast and ovarian cancer patients from Brazil reveals differences among Latin American populations.Cancer Genet. 2016; 209: 417-422
Published online: August 17, 2017
Accepted: August 6, 2017
Received in revised form: August 4, 2017
Received: May 17, 2017
© 2017 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.