- •In our cohort, the frequency of the Portuguese BRCA2 founder mutation (c.156_157insAlu) was 0.65%.
- •The most frequent ancestry proportions of the mutation carriers were European and African.
- •67% of the families presented a pattern compatible with the Portuguese ancestral haplotype.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Alu distribution and mutation types of cancer genes.BMC Genomics. 2011; 12: 157
- Alu repeats and human disease.Mol Genet Metab. 1999; 67: 183-193
- Identification of pathogenic retrotransposon insertions in cancer predisposition genes.Cancer Genet. 2017; 216-217: 159-169
- De novo Alu element insertions targeted to a sequence common to the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes.Hum Mutat. 2005; 26: 284
- The c.156_157insAlu BRCA2 rearrangement accounts for more than one-fourth of deleterious BRCA mutations in northern/central Portugal.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2009; 114: 31-38
- International distribution and age estimation of the Portuguese BRCA2 c.156_157insAlu founder mutation.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2011; 127: 671-679
- Cancer risks for BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation carriers: results from prospective analysis of EMBRACE.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2013; 105: 812-822
- Brasil: 500 anos de povoamento.Instituto Brasileiro de Geografia e Estatística (IBGE), Rio de Janeiro2007
- Oncogenetics service and the Brazilian public health system: the experience of a reference cancer hospital.Genet Mol Biol. 2016; 39: 168-177
- Straightforward inference of ancestry and admixture proportions through ancestry-informative insertion deletion multiplexing.PLoS One. 2012; 7: e29684
- Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data.Genetics. 2000; 155: 945-959
- Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data: linked loci and correlated allele frequencies.Genetics. 2003; 164: 1567-1587
- Prevalence of BRCA1/BRCA2 mutations in a Brazilian population sample at-risk for hereditary breast cancer and characterization of its genetic ancestry.Oncotarget,. 2016; : 80465-80481
- Prevalence of BRCA1/2 germline mutations in 21 401 families with breast and ovarian cancer.J Med Genet. 2016; 53: 465-471
- BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutational profile and prevalence in hereditary breast and ovarian cancer (HBOC) probands from Southern Brazil: are international testing criteria appropriate for this specific population?.PLoS One. 2017; 12e0187630
- Prevalence of hispanic BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations among hereditary breast and ovarian cancer patients from Brazil reveals differences among Latin American populations.Cancer Genet. 2016; 209: 417-422
- Admixture in Latin America: geographic structure, phenotypic diversity and self-perception of ancestry based on 7,342 individuals.PLoS Genet. 2014; 10e1004572
- Origin and dynamics of admixture in Brazilians and its effect on the pattern of deleterious mutations.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2015; 112: 8696-8701
- BRCA1 and BRCA2 rearrangements in Brazilian individuals with hereditary breast and ovarian cancer syndrome.Genet Mol Biol. 2016; 39: 223-231
- Portuguese c.156_157insAlu BRCA2 founder mutation: gastrointestinal and tongue neoplasias may be part of the phenotype.Fam Cancer. 2012; 11: 657-660