- •Rural non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) patients have worse survival.
- •Whole exome sequencing reveals similar somatic mutation profile as urban patients.
- •Most common mutations and actionable genes are also observed in rural NSCLC.
- •24% of patients had variants in actionable genes based on OncoKB annotation.
- •Findings establish foundation for targeted clinical trials in rural NSCLC patients.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Cancer statistics.CA Cancer J Clin. 2020; 70 (2020): 7-30
- Changing urbanization patterns in US lung cancer mortality, 1950–2007.J Community Health. 2012; 37: 412-420
- The effect of socioeconomic status on treatment and mortality in non-small cell lung cancer patients.Ann Thorac Surg. 2020; 109: 225-232
- Association of rurality with survival and guidelines-concordant management in early-stage non-small cell lung cancer.Am J Clin Oncol. 2019; 42: 607-614
- Geographic distribution and survival outcomes for rural patients with cancer treated in clinical trials.JAMA Netw Open. 2018; 1e181235
American Lung Association: State of lung cancer 2021. https://www.lung.org/research/state-of-lung-cancer/states/missouri accessed 04/13/2022.
- Using multiplexed assays of oncogenic drivers in lung cancers to select targeted drugs.JAMA. 2014; 311: 1998-2006
- ALCHEMIST Trials: a golden opportunity to transform outcomes in early-stage non-small cell lung cancer.Clin Cancer Res. 2015; 21: 5439-5444
- Fast and accurate long-read alignment with burrows-wheeler transform.Bioinformatics. 2010; 26: 589-595
- The genome analysis toolkit: a mapreduce framework for analyzing next-generation DNA sequencing data.Genome Res. 2010; 20: 1297-1303
- Sensitive detection of somatic point mutations in impure and heterogeneous cancer samples.Nat Biotechnol. 2013; 31: 213-219
- VarScan 2: somatic mutation and copy number alteration discovery in cancer by exome sequencing.Genome Res. 2012; 22: 568-576
- Genomic variant annotation and prioritization with ANNOVAR and wANNOVAR.Nat Protoc. 2015; 10: 1556-1566
- A map of human genome variation from population-scale sequencing.Nature. 2010; 467: 1061-1073
- Molecular Determinants of response to anti-programmed cell death (PD)-1 and anti-programmed death-ligand 1 (PD-L1) blockade in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer profiled with targeted next-generation sequencing.J Clin Oncol. 2018; 36: 633-641
- Tumor mutational load predicts survival after immunotherapy across multiple cancer types.Nat Genet. 2019; 51: 202-206
- Comprehensive genomic characterization of squamous cell lung cancers.Nature. 2012; 489: 519-525
- Comprehensive molecular profiling of lung adenocarcinoma.Nature. 2014; 511: 543-550
- Mutational heterogeneity in cancer and the search for new cancer-associated genes.Nature. 2013; 499: 214-218
- Downregulation of HOXA3 in lung adenocarcinoma and its relevant molecular mechanism analysed by RT-qPCR, TCGA and in silico analysis.Int J Oncol. 2018; 53: 1557-1579
- Whole exome sequencing of highly aggregated lung cancer families reveals linked loci for increased cancer risk on chromosomes 12q, 7p, and 4q.Cancer Epidemiol Biomark Prev. 2020; 29: 434-442
- Development of tumor mutation burden as an immunotherapy biomarker: utility for the oncology clinic.Ann Oncol. 2019; 30: 44-56
- The prognostic value of TP53 and its correlation with EGFR mutation in advanced non-small cell lung cancer, an analysis based on cBioPortal data base.Lung Cancer. 2018; 123: 70-75
- OncoKB: a precision oncology knowledge base.JCO Precis Oncol. 2017; : 2017
- Integrative analysis of complex cancer genomics and clinical profiles using the cBioPortal.Sci Signal. 2013; 6: pl1
- Association of patient characteristics and tumor genomics with clinical outcomes among patients with non-small cell lung cancer using a clinicogenomic database.JAMA. 2019; 321: 1391-1399
- Integrated genomic DNA/RNA profiling of hematologic malignancies in the clinical setting.Blood. 2016; 127: 3004-3014
- Single circulating-tumor-cell-targeted sequencing to identify somatic variants in liquid biopsies in non-small-cell lung cancer patients.Curr Issues Mol Biol. 2022; 44: 750-763
- Changes in urban and rural cigarette smoking and cannabis use from 2007 to 2017 in adults in the United States.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2019; 205107699