Secondary hematologic malignancies, such as B-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia/lymphoma (B-ALL), have been reported following multiple myeloma. Tyrosine kinase inhibitors have improved clinical outcomes of patients with Philadelphia-positive (Ph+) B-ALL. Therefore, recognition of the Ph chromosome in B-ALL patients is important for both prognosis and therapies. We present a case of a secondary Ph+ B-ALL following multiple myeloma that highlights a BCR::ABL1 fusion by a gene fusion assay to reveal a cryptic Ph chromosome, which may otherwise be missed by conventional cytogenetics and typical interphase fluorescence in situ hybridization.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Cancer Genetics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Risk of acute myeloid leukemia and myelodysplastic syndromes after multiple myeloma and its precursor disease (MGUS).Blood. 2011; 118: 4086-4092
- Acute lymphoblastic leukemia as a clonally unrelated second primary malignancy after multiple myeloma.Leukemia. 2019; 33: 266-270
- Fused transcript of abl and bcr genes in chronic myelogenous leukaemia.Nature. 1985; 315: 550-554
- Current paradigms in the management of Philadelphia chromosome positive acute lymphoblastic leukemia in adults.Am J Hematol. 2018; 93: 286-295
- Diagnostic utility of gene fusion panel to detect gene fusions in fresh and formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded cancer specimens.J Mol Diagn. 2021; 23: 1343-1358
- Clinical utility of targeted next-generation sequencing assay to detect copy number variants associated with myelodysplastic syndrome in myeloid malignancies.J Mol Diagn. 2021; 23: 467-483https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmoldx.2021.01.011
- Second malignancies in the context of lenalidomide treatment: an analysis of 2732 myeloma patients enrolled to the Myeloma XI trial.Blood Cancer J. 2016; 6: e506
- Secondary primary malignancies during the lenalidomide-dexamethasone regimen in relapsed/refractory multiple myeloma patients.Cancer Med. 2017; 6: 3-11
- Therapy-related ALL: cytogenetic features and hematopoietic cell transplantation outcome.Bone Marrow Transplant. 2015; 50: 746-748
- Precursor B-acute lymphoblastic leukemia occurring in patients with a history of prior malignancies: is it therapy-related?.Haematologica. 2012; 97: 919-925
- Comparison of FISH and quantitative RT-PCR for the diagnosis and follow-up of BCR-ABL-positive leukemias.Mol Diagn Ther. 2007; 11: 239-245
Published online: March 18, 2023
Accepted: March 16, 2023
Received in revised form: January 9, 2023
Received: June 2, 2022
© 2023 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.